Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Setting the mind right - part 2

Step 2: Do the math

Losing weight as fast as possible will most unlikely be a healthy option, no matter how desperate you are to get rid of those extra pounds. Before you think on how fast you want to work off your overweight, think about how long it took you to gain it. In my case it was 46 lbs in about 9 years (108 month). It seems pretty obvious that losing it in let’s say 2 weeks is not very realistic. On the other hand having reached my goal-weight in 15 months doesn’t seem that bad anymore, right?


The ultimate goal should not be about reaching your goal-weight anyway. It should be about keeping it that way. For that to happen we need to change our attitude regarding our eating, drinking, exercising even sleeping habits. Out of my own experience I know, that changing a habit takes time. So it makes only sense that any “diet” that promises fast results, without needing to change any of your customs; is in the long run little promising that you will be successful.

My diet-coach would always tell me: “Anyone can lose weight. But only a few are able to keep it that way.”

Step 3: Accept the following fact

“You are the rule, not the exception!” (Quote by Greg Behrendt)

As much as you may not like to acknowledge this, once you do, life gets easier.

Just take a moment and think about all the situations this may apply. Since this post is about dieting let’s take that example. How often have you found excuses that changing your eating habits to a healthier way would not work for you to lose weight?  I’d say for most of us that is just the way to do it. It takes discipline and time but eventually you get the desired result. The problem is that we are not disciplined enough or get desperate to quickly to actually get to see those results. So we think, we sure must have a medical condition and therefore need a “special, 100% personalized diet”. Next time you feel that way, remember that most likely you are to be the rule, not the exception.

Step 4: Organize your week

While eating is an important part of our everyday life, it should definitely not be the determining part. Knowing how to eat healthy and balanced will help you go about your other routines, feeling good about yourself.

To me it is very helpful to have one day of the week where I get everything ready, so when I follow my busy schedule I don’t have to worry about washing lettuce, or cutting up celery. Prepare your meals ahead as much as you can. Make sure you always have veggies to snack on at hand and stick to your mealtime. That keeps you from getting into situations where you are so hungry that you’ll eat anything you can get your hands on.



Keep in mind that not everything will always turn out the way you planned it. There were weeks that I stayed right on track even though I had a hard time and in the end the payoff was not even close to what I expected. On the other hand there were weeks that I may even have indulged in some dessert (off menu-plan) and felt that I didn’t do such a good job on following the rules and I lost more weight than expected.


Don’t stress about it, just take one day at a time!

(Dedicated to my diet-coach)

Have you lost weight or are in the process of doing so? Share your experience in the comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment